Friday, May 16, 2008

Welcome to Insanity

I think that we've reached the point of no-return in the school year. I think that my attendance will continue to stay at this point: about 30-40% of each class roster. I think that students don't want to be there. I think that I'm tired. I think that I MIGHT be able to get through my unit on China. I think that every week is going to be as crazy and non-productive as this one.

This week was 4 days long for the students. We have Parent-Teacher conferences today. Out of those 4 days, we've had 3 days with fires during third period, effectively negating half of 3rd and all of 4th period. Yesterday, the school was placed on lockdown (no one in, no one out, all students and teachers in their classrooms with the doors locked) because of large fights in the cafeteria and some neighborhood fights, possibly involving guns.

All I want to do is finish my unit on China. I have 4 weeks to do it. I don't know if it is going to happen. I saw my 4th period ONCE this week!!! How are they supposed to learn when they are not there?!!

Please, send chocolate and hugs.

2 comments:

Miss Self-Important said...

WaPo says your principal is out.

Elizabeth S said...

This is true. So is the rest of the administration. The teachers are staying (kinda). I'm going to the job fair tomorrow though to see what else is out there.