Sunday, May 11, 2008

Visiting Chicago as an entry to self-reflection

I flew into Chicago on Friday evening for a quick visit of the family.

Friday, Tim, Hannah and I celebrated the turning in of his BA at Jimmy's. It's weird that it is smoke free now. It looks so much cleaner! Jon joined us...such a pleasant surprise that he was in town!! I'm hoping I'll be able to get out to visit him in Deep Springs sometime. It sounds very peaceful, philosophical...very Jon. :)

Saturday, Lisa, Leo, Jon and I had brunch at the Med. Mmmmmmm...Mexicana shake! :) I took the train out to OP after brunch and Matt and the kids picked me up from the station to head to the zoo to meet up with Dave, Julie, and Alex. We all wandered around Brookfield, playing in the park, looking at bears. I bought Michael and Megumi a strawberry smoothie and brought them strawberries. :) Megumi remarked at one point: "Auntie Lizzie, I think I love you." I'll miss them while they are gone.

Megumi fell asleep on the car ride home, so we all went back to Matt and Michi's and ordered dinner. Gerry joined us. Matt helped me start my GURPS character (I have to finish that thing!!) and then Dave and Julie drove me and Gerry back down to HP.

I joined Tim and Hannah at the FOTA fashion show, then went over to Jimmy's to meet up with Lisa, Meredith, Rafal, and Jon.

I'm now at the airport...taking a later flight so that I can take advantage of the travel voucher they offered. Now I'll be able to come back for at least two more trips. :)

This has been a rather hard visit since I haven't been home for a while, because it was so short, and because I really feel as though I've lost a lot over the last year, without realizing it. Lost some memories of college, lost touch with people, lost some friendships, a relationship, some closeness with family members, lost my ability to think intellectually, lost more German and French and Latin, lost my optimism, lost Chicago.

I'm getting more and more excited for the summer when I can have some time and concentration to regain some of those things. As usual, I'm hoping that the coming school year will grant time, patience, opportunity, determination, etc. to fulfill all my fantasies. I'm excited to have best friends move closer, to make a complete curriculum, to start German again, to balance out my life again.

3 comments:

Miss Self-Important said...

I always think I'm going to start German again. And then something else comes up instead. I did go a German meet-up in DC a few weeks ago, only to be reminded that I thoroughly suck.

Elizabeth S said...

Yeah...turns out I'm not going to be doing German...unless I buy a Rosetta Stone program. Couldn't do the Goethe Institute times.

Miss Self-Important said...

the goethe institute schedules are too demanding for me too. my plan is always some vague re-studying the textbook that never happens because i get distracted by about 50 other, less tedious things.