Saturday, October 03, 2009

The Impact of IMPACT

Some of me thinks that the new teacher evaluation system, IMPACT, is good. And some of me wants to scream when I think about it. I'm still a pretty new teacher and it worries me that because I'm struggling to figure out how to hit all the learning styles will be counted against me. The videos that they had us watch to "norm" the evaluations...Those didn't show us what they (the District) thought good teaching was. The videos showed passable, not great, and downright awful teaching was. In my first Master Educator observation, I found myself stumbling over my words, getting lost in my lecture, recalling later that I only employed two learning styles in the 30 minutes that she was there....I don't know what she is going to say when she meets with me on Thursday. And frankly, it scares me. IMPACT scares me.

For more information, read Bill Turque's almost glowing review of IMPACT and then go look at the actual framework. Make sure you read the .pdf file at the bottom to get the full story.

No comments: