Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Bit of Me Dies

One of my seniors was shot on Thursday evening at 6 pm, while he was just riding his bike around the neighborhood. He was wounded in his leg and arm. He is going to be fine.

His special ed coordinator told me yesterday just after lunch.

This young man is a teddy bear. He would never hurt a soul. To think that he got caught in the cross-fire of two neighborhoods fighting, and that he had survived this long to get just 3 weeks before graduation (a feat not easily attended in this neighborhood)...it makes me sick.

When I was told, I could feel a bit of me die, like there was nothing that I could ever do for these kids because they truly need a village and they don't have that. It felt like a traumatic kick in the gut. How can I help these students when their communities are so broken? I just want my students to be safe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't tell me about this when we talked this weekend! How horrible :(