Saturday, June 17, 2006

Sighting Royalty

Running in Hyde Park this afternoon after sleeping in until 12.30 (no library for me today), I would occasionally stop and walk a ways while taking in the sights. When I finally decided to head back to the hostel, I was running towards Broad Walk when I heard a helicopter over the music in my headphones (which, by the way, are breaking...Time for new headphones...again). Looking up and over to the large green field near Kensington Palace, a maroon helicopter landed. Complete with crest and stuffy looking pilots, who got out and waited. I stopped, thinking "This has got to be royalty. I'll wait since I'll likely won't get to see such a thing for a long time." And after waiting for twenty minutes, seeing a police car drive up and take its station a bit away from the 'copter, I (and the rest of the crowd that the helicopter had drawn) saw two limos pull through the gate and drive onto the grass, right next to the helicopter. 6 guards get out and pull a bunch of luggage from the trunk. Then they opened the car door and Prince Charles popped out. "You-ho! You-ho!" a few women called. Charles graciously turned around and waved before climbing aboard. If I hadn't gone back to sleep after breakfast and decided to go for a run, I would never have been about 200-500 meters away from Prince Charles of England. Too bad I didn't have my camera.

For all that, it was rather anticlimactic.

No comments: