Thursday, June 29, 2006

Frank Lloyd Wright is my hero

Since starting work on Monday at the Frederick C. Robie House for the Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust (http://www.wrightplus.org/robiehouse/robiehouse.html), I've learned a few things. Magnasite is a compound made of magnesium, carbon, and oxygen combined with sawdust and coloring to create a durable, cement-like substance that dries and hardens in a few hours. There are 174 art glass windows in Robie House, made out of clear glass, "cathedral" (colored) glass, and copper-plated zinc cames (the joints holding the panes together). There are 206 openings in the house. There is a pit underneath the garage, put in so Mr. Robie could ticker around with his cars. Sometimes in winter the temperature in the house could get down into the 50s.

I like working there. The people are very friendly and the work that I am going to do should be very interesting (I might get to learn how to clean art glass!!!). They are going to be having me research four projects (lighting, divorce rates, landscaping and...something else).

I also am going to be working my other job (University of Chicago School Mathematics Project) for about 10 hours a week and I'm glad to be going back there. I'm feeling very refreshed after spending some time not working and happy to be continuing with the video project.

Lunch break is over.

No comments: