Monday, March 02, 2009

The Snow-bama Factor

Yes, that is the title of today's article by Marc Fisher in the Washington Post.

Here is my response.

As a DC public school teacher and a native of Chicago, I would like to say that the decision to keep DCPS open today was stupid. And not because the "teachers have a hard time commuting"--boo hoo! Because the STUDENTS can't and DON'T get to school! There were about 25 students in the entire building today and even fewer faculty.

Most DCPS students walk or bus to school and walking up the hill to my school was a nightmare. Those who do drive: well, let's put it this way. I carpool with another teacher and on our way to school at 9:45 am, 495 wasn't clear. We got stuck behind a plow that didn't know how to drive in this weather. DC just doesn't have the capacity for (what I as a native Chicagoan would call) a mild snowstorm. If the interstates aren't clear and even the people clearing the roads don't know how to drive, how can we expect kids to walk, drive, or catch public transportation?

As for the argument that the schools are remaining open for the kids on free and reduced lunches: the kids aren't there. They don't come on a day like today because they can't get through the snow, they have to watch their siblings, or they just don't want to come...even if they are hungry. At least 1 elementary teacher who I talked to today said that no kids showed up at school. My school had about 25. Another teacher I know saw 6 students during the entire day...another, 2. So really, are we feeding the children?

No comments: