Saturday, February 02, 2008

And now for your (not so) regular update

On Monday, I arrived at the school to be directed into the auditorium. This is unusual. Usually teachers sign in at the plaza level main office and immediately head to their rooms to hide, plan, grade, and hide. However, that day--somethingwas going on. Students were directed into the cafeteria and teachers and staff into the auditorium.

Our principal informed us that over the weekend on of the water pipes on the fourth floor had broken and flooded the rooms below. BUT fortunately, maintainance and DCPS people had worked 'round the clock to get the school ready for students. The air quality was being checked as we sat there.

One of the teachers asked "What's happened to the library?" (which has never been opened and is on the first floor. To which our fabulous principal responded "The library is down." My immediate thought: "The library was never UP!"

The meeting continued: we were in the school for the moment, but could be moved at any point if they find that the building was not safe. Ah, but where to go!? The school that we moved into last year when this happened was no longer available. There is no empty building close enough that is appropriate. So, I think because of that reason, we have not moved. But who knows if that will change! Could be as soon as Monday. Guess I'll find out when I find out.

I decided to take Friday off to rest and catch up on some grading that I have, but instead went to Ikea yesterday. Then I went up to Jesse's and helped him clean up the house a little. And then I played Zelda for quite some time.

I wrote a proposal for Donorschoose.org for project funding for my classroom last Sunday and it's been funded already. So my students will get about $400 worth of books on CD soon! Whee! Thanks to everyone who supported it!

And now, for your regularly scheduled nap.

No comments: