Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Reading Rooms and Wifi Fees June 5

The lights over the desks are angular, modern, black-green. My number is 3095, for the day. I wait for the books that I requested: 70 minutes to kill. No internet (why no internet? One would think that a library would provide free wifi!). I discover an annoyance while surfing on the library catalog, looking for some books.

I do not sit down at 3095 right away; instead, I head straight for the catalog terminal and searched and find that I cannot request the books until I had a station number. Quickly finishing my searching, I log off assuming that my searches will be saved. Find 3095, set up, and then back to a catalog terminal. I log on only to discover that all my saved titles have been erased.

Apparently, your lists can be saved on your computer, but not the BL server and catalog terminals! I smellth a ploy to get all us poor readers to pay the absurdly expensive wifi fee.

No comments: