Sunday, May 14, 2006

"Home"coming and new class

I got back into Paris yesterday. The train was about 45 minutes late, so I began to panic a little at around 9.45 when we still hadn't got to Paris..."Did I miss it?!" Sleeping on slightly padded (or maybe they are just very firmly padded?) train seats doesn't do much for coherent-ness. So, home again, home again (jiggity-jig) for the unpacking fest and the "I have no food" fest (I currently have in my fridge: half a lemon, an orange, various condiments (jam and a yummy curry thing), and a carrot). Not much fun, that. Plus, the supermarket was closed.

We are starting our new class, "Art, Body and Religion in Medieval and Reniassance Europe." I think that the subject matter will be good and I am really hoping that the prof is good too...the amount of reading makes me wonder. Oh well. I am good at reading, so go me.

Highlights of Germany:
-Berlin: was already covered...except I also went to Anne's classes and talked with her students about stereotypes Germans have about Americans. And her 5th grade (or was it 7th?) class interviewed me about private schools. And as we were walking into that class (the first class of the day), I thought "What am I getting myself into!? Eep." But it turned out fine. And now I think that I am going to apply to the Fulbright to do what she is doing next year after I graduate...Aren't I a fun basket of "let's change our mind all the freakin' time!"?
-Halle: based on what the guide book said about Halle, Anne and I were pleasantly surprised! The town was a lot cleaner and cuter than we thought it would be, but then the guide book was very harsh, so...yeah. We saw the Handel House, which was unnecessarily complicated to find and ate a good dinner.
-Weimar: CUTE, WONDERFUL town! Easy to find things in, small, most of the German intellectuals lived there (Goethe, Shiller, Lizst, Nietzsche...the list does go on), lots to see, people were friendly, the hostel was clean and nice. We liked it there.
-Leipzig: our energy was flagging. The Bach House was good, but not what we expected (after seeing the coolness of the Goethe and Schiller Houses). The GDR/seperation of Germany (I have no idea what this place was called) museum was very very cool. And successfully answered many of my questions about the timeline of Germany after WWII. Also, that museum was funny because, on the top floor, they had a mini-museum dedicated to Marius Mueller. Who is Marius Mueller, you ask (as Anne and I did)? He is a guitarist and "rock legend" and the Germans love him, apparently. Also, this museum was funny because the placards of info on the walls were in German, but underneath the title of each placard, they placed the English translation of the title. Just that.

Now I have been in every East German state, except one. Good times.

Time to do readings.

No comments: