Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Day Three

Day Three in Berlin:
Sooo much walking. I went to Checkpoint Charlie (the Berlin Wall museum) this morning while Anne met with a friend for coffee. They have too little space for the amount of stuff that they have and want to accomplish and you leave overwhelmed with WWII and the Cold War and think “Ok…Now I am going to read a history of Germany in the last 50 years.” Or at least, you do if you are me. I met up with Anne and her friend Julie at the Starbucks at Stadtmitte (yeah, I know Starbucks…but, on the up side, this one has ridiculously comfortable armchairs…and the one(s) in Paris have cute little espresso cups with lids!!) and then we walked from Gendarmenmarkt to Alexanderplatz to Nikolaiviertel to the Marx-Engels Forum to the Brandenburg Gate to Reichstag (and the World Cup Stadium) to the Victory Column in the middle of the Tiergarten. Whew. (Now, everyone go find all that on a map of Berlin.) Then Anne and I went grocery shopping, back to her place, made a yummy stirfry and then basically collapsed. Well, not quite, I organized pictures from the day(s) and listened to tunes and went to bed.
Oh and a word about brats. Brats here cost 1 euro. They are much much much better than any brats in the states. I knew there was a reason I didn’t eat them back home…it is because I was waiting the ultimate stuff. Go brats.

No comments: